Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Who's that peeking in my window?

In my opinion the man who started it all as far as Neo-Soul ... Him AND Erykah

Soul and R&B music stinks. Really, soul and R&B music stinks and has had a putrid aroma for the past 19 years. Except for a few offerings by Stevie, Mary J. Blige, Keith Washington, Tony, Toni, Tone, Aretha Franklin, Jodeci, Guy, Dru Hill, Usher, and Al Green soul music has been a waste of listening-time for me and a lot of my friends.




 I decided to jump-on scribble something real quick because 1) I was quite distraught, while perusing Youtube and some other music sites, that I couldn't find a decent R&B song to play that is fairly recent. 2) I just posted a song on my FB Page and received several emails as to what genre the artist could be defined.  The artist is of early Neo-Soul persuasion.

Xavier (the artist on my FB Page) dropped his album about two months before Maxwell's timeless classic album Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite. Now THAT was a hell of an album and it makes music purists like myself thank the heavens for Maxwell and that awesome summer.  Neo-Soul was in it's infancy and no one knew what to make of it, and in which direction it was going, because neo-soul wasn't and IS NOT without it's problems.  One of the problems with neo-soul (and it's prevalent today) was that its advocates were quick to celebrate artists that capture the merest essence of the form -- elements that are clearly reminiscent of Stevie, Curtis, Sly, Marvin, even Prince -- without caring whether the songs themselves are all that memorable. Usually, what matters is the feel and the mannerisms, as evidenced by D'Angelo's praised, mannered second album. Even acclaimed artists like Alicia Keys are praised for what they could be as much as for what they are. For every Erykah Badu, Maxwell, and D'Angelo there's a Estelle, Bilal, and Tony Rich Project.  These are artists that came, planted their flag, evolved, and are still evolving into bigger and brighter artists verses the latter three that only give us a single or two then vanish or become obscure.  But even with the minute problems that neo-soul has as a sub-genre it's vastly superior to it's parents soul and R&B.  If you don't agree with me you only have to look as far as the content of the lyrics and composition of the music. Sade and Van Hunt actually write deeply thought-out songs while their bands compose complex melodies to compliment the lyrics.  Meanwhile Trey Songs and new soul artists of his ilk write about screwing while the neighbors listen and wait for a beat by Just Blaze.

  Now don't get me wrong, I love R&B just not the shit that is on the radio these days. All of the "tracks" sound identical; aside from Ne-Yo and Keri Hilson (did I spell that correctly?) no one is coming with anything new and innovative. None these cats are pushing the sound of soul music -- they're just jumping on and off of the dicks of one another. And, no,  putting Lil' Weezy, Drake, or Nicki Minaj on the remix doesn't constitute as innovative.  To me, Mario sounds a lot like Trey Songz and why is this so?  I feel that soul music is going to go the way of hip-hop music if the ARTISTS don't get off of their asses, find an original thought, and put something out there that's gonna make us wanna dance, think, cry, smile, fuck, and go "whoa! who's that? who the hell is on bass guitar?" ...because just singing about having loud sex is played-out and unoriginal. Shit, I screw just as well or better listening to Daft Punk or Funkadelic -- definitely a lot faster! *wink-wink*
I know it's never good to post pictures of your EX-GIRLFRIEND on the internet but I mentioned her! ;O)



Random Rant:  You don't have to stalk a person's social pages or their friend's pages to see what's going on with them, just ask, Chica.  This is a warning shot, my friend, next will be a full expose with pics.


DAFT PUNK, BABY!!!
  

Okay, lemme have some food and get some rest as I have a long day tomorrow.  As always if you don't agree or have a comment hit me up on one of the avenues below (FB/Twitter/email). Stay Groovy and God Bless! <3 ;O)

Your Old Pal,

The Hedonist